Monday, January 3, 2011

For My Gluten-free Friends!

I'm pretty pumped by a discovery I made over the holidays - Grape skin flour. Only a gluten-free nut would get excited when they find a new flour, but this flour packs a punch like no other. Even your gluten-friends should have this in their pantry! It's antioxidant rich - just look at these nutritional facts...

Per 100 g flour:
  • omega 6 - 64 g
  • omega 3 - 30.2g
  • potassium - 2100 mg (65% daily value)
  • fiber - 52 gm (208% daily value)
  • Protein - 12 gm
  • Calcium - 70% daily value
  • Iron - 710% daily value
If I could eat it straight out of the bag I would! But sadly it's a bit tart, so I'm simply adding a couple of tablespoons to all of my baking - gives a rich colour somewhat like cocoa powder to the end product. I had it in my pancakes this morning. Yumm - feel healthier already. :)

Where do you get this miracle stuff? My local gourmet store carried it - but here's the contact info on the package:

Vintage Flour Niagara Inc.
1811 Niagara Stone Rd., Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - L0S 1J0
1-905-468-1259

If you have any recommendations for me, please share!
Warmly, Beverley

Beverley Cathcart-Ross is an author, speaker, certified parent educator, and co-founder of Parenting Network. Click here for Workshops for Winter 2010/11!

No comments: