Monday, April 5, 2010

Encouragement - A Practice Challenge!

I read something this morning and I just had to pass it on to you. I know you may be busy with children today, but that’s what makes this even more perfect – you have an audience to practice on!

But before you launch into that, DON’T skip this:

Important Message - our Early Bird Special ends at midnight. If you wanted to refresh your parenting skills, or invigorate your marriage, NOW is the time, and here’s the link => Catalogue.

We’re crazy about Encouragement Skills at Parenting Network, so here is a Practice Challenge from Jody McVittie a friend and colleague in Puget Sound. Guaranteed to help children feel valued and capable. P.S. Works great on partners too.

“Encouragement 2x10”: A home practice challenge
Offer a child 2 specific encouragements a day for 10 days.

Keys to remember:
• Encouragement is non-judgmental (That means avoiding words like good, great, super. Instead, use words that describe what you see: persistent, fair, focused, helpful, excited)
• Encouragement is honest and heart-felt and in the moment. (not offered directly in order to manipulate or change behavior)
• Encouragement is powerful when it is private. A quiet voice or note can work better than a public announcement.
• Encouragement can be non-verbal (an acknowledging smile), written (post it notes make wonderful encouragement tools) or spoken.

Sample encouraging statements - but use your own words!
Descriptive Encouragement: I noticed you helping ____, I noticed how hard you’ve been working, I noticed how this seems to be of interest to you.
Appreciative Encouragement: I appreciated your help today, I appreciated your idea, I appreciated your patience at the store.
Empowering Encouragement: I know you can do this, I have seen you do things that are harder than this, I have confidence you can figure this out.

So challenge yourself and start a new healthy habit today!

Beverley

Beverley Cathcart-Ross
Co-founder Parenting Network
email: beverley@parentingnetwork.ca
web: www.parentingnetwork.ca
phone: 416-480-2499

“You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very nice blog!

my website - Click Here